I believe I have just finished upgrading the production version of VUFind — the software driving the “Catholic Portal” — to version RC3107 which is somewhere between version 1.1 and 1.2. This upgrade addresses at least a couple of usability issues, specifically:
- wording in regards the linking of online finding aids
- toggling the check box associated with filters
With this version there are also quite a number of additional records in the underlying index — around 280,000. This is because the finding aids (EAD files) have been indexed more completely.
Next steps include:
- turning on Google site maps to facilitate better SEO (search engine optimization)
- installing version 1.2 in the “sandbox” environment
- implementing the results of other CRRA member usability studies
- figuring out how to speed up the indexing process
- figuring out how to check for valid MARC records and thus paving the way for better automated updating.
Wish us luck.