The May/June 2011 CRRA Update is now available at: http://bit.ly/crra_MayJune2011
In this issue you will find news items regarding:
- Tom Leonhardt Retires from CRRA Board of Directors and Digital Access Committee (DAC)
- Welcome to CRRA’s Six New Members
- From the Board: NEH Challenge Grant Proposal Deferred; CRAA to Develop Five Year Strategic Plan
- The Collections Committee Update: Developing Critical Mass Around Three Themes
- Member Institutions Continue Portal Usability Studies
- CRRA in ACCU News
- Mark your calendars to attend “Advancing Catholic Scholarly Research: A Symposium at Duquesne University.” November 9-10, 2011, Pittsburgh, PA. Details at: http://bit.ly/lg0oCH
Continue reading “CRRA May/June 2011 Update”
This posting outlines the possibilities for ingesting PastPerfect content into the “Catholic Portal”.
As membership in the Catholic Research Resources Alliance (CRRA) grows, so does the number of metadata formats the “Catholic Portal” is expected to support. When the CRRA was just beginning MARC was the predominate metadata format. After the content of university archives was recognized as significant, EAD became very important. Some institutions use neither MARC nor EAD to describe their special collections but instead use systems like ContentDM. These sorts of things are often accessible via OAI-PMH, and thus, at the very least, harvestable Dublin Core is available. In order to support discovery, all of these types of metadata need to be parsed, mapped to VuFind’s underlying Solr schema, and indexed.
Continue reading “PastPerfect”