I have begun to create a data warehouse for CRRA (VuFind) Web server log files. This posting introduces the topic.
There is an understandable need/desire to know how well the “Catholic Portal” is operating. But for the life of me I was not able to enumerate metrics defining success. On the other hand, Pat Lawton had no problem listing quite a few. Here are most of her suggestions:
- Are users looking at records?
- Are users searching in English? Other languages?
- Are users using field searches?
- Can we get a sense of the number of records viewed per search?
- Do we know how many searches resulted in zero hits?
- How many hits came from a google search result? Or other search engine?
- How many hits per day?
- How many times were each institution’s records viewed?
- How many times were the Web 2.0 things used?
- How many users set up an account?
- How often were the tabs at the top clicked on?
- Per searches where records were looked at?
- What is the average number of hits retrieved per search?
- What percentage of queries resulted in an error message?
- What sorts of search strings are entered?
- When are the peak periods of use? Is there a pattern?
- Where are users coming from?
- Which geographic locations and types of institutions?